CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 29, 2011

Hurricane Irene

As some of you know, Hurricane Irene hit us Sunday morning about 1 am. I am not sure if it was still a hurricane when it hit us or a Nor'easter. Anyways, our power went out at 2:30 Sunday morning. We finally got our power back today at 2:30 pm. We were without power for 36 hours. I have to say, when Brett and I found out we had power, we were jumping for joy! M went around the house and turned on all the lights and keeps saying she is so glad we have power. From all the worry and stress of preparing for a hurricane to hit, I realized how much I was and wasn't prepared. I also realized how much of our food requires heat to be able to eat it. I do have 72 hours worth of food for each of us, but we didn't have enough water stored or a regular 72 hour kit. Luckily, we had running water the whole time and we had enough non perishable food we didn't have to get into our food storage stuff. We are also lucky it ended up being a much smaller storm than originally thought. I know after this experience, I am going to start building a 72 hour kit and become more prepared. I never thought I had a need before because I haven't lived where there are earthquakes, tornadoes, or hurricanes. Well, this last week proved me wrong. We felt an earthquake from Virginia, and also survived a hurricane. You never know what can befall you, no matter where you live.

2 comments:

KariMarie

Very true. It's a bummer that sometimes we aren't prepared enough until we go through a disaster. But glad you guys are OK!

Syme Family

I can't believe you were with out power for that long. I hope a disaster doesn't hit us anytime soon because I'm not as prepared as I should be but we are trying to get there.
I was wondering have you had a chance to look through our pictures. Did any of them even turn out. I felt so bad that Robyn was being a little stinker.
Hope you are having a great Day!